...in China! (...在中国!)

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Beijing Walmart....

I know it's not very exciting but here are pictures I took during my adventure to Walmart.



This is the store front. It is in the lower level of a large hotel, so I suspect Walmart just bought a pre-existing structure and changed the signs. It is a bit confusing to navigate inside the store. I bought 2 DVD's and you have to pay for them in the movie section before you leave to do other shopping. The lowest level is for groceries, but there is no checkout there. So I bought some household items, paid for them. Went downstairs to the grocery. Picked out some things. Took them back upstairs, paid, then got lost trying to get out of the place. I was in a basement level garage before I knew it.



This is how they do they poultry section in the grocery portion of the store. It works very much like the produce department. You pick what you want, bag it and they weigh it for you. The other supermarkets I frequent are the same. The meat is generally not prepackaged in vacuum wrap. The exception is at the occasional checkout aisle, where you will find vacuum packed preserved meats, not unlike beef jerky. The example that sticks out in my mind the most were the spicy chicken feet beautifully lined up in a roll in the package. (Note: Spicy chicken feet are tasty, but too much work for too little meat, I think it is more of substitute for chewing gum...!)



Sea food is fresh. I mean FREEESSSSHHH! You pick out the live critters you want. In the picture, you see a very blurry turtle type animal. You can even buy fresh/live shrimp. How's that for fresh? They had a decent selection of dried, cured and preserved meats. Some of which I could not guess the original animal, but they sure smelled good. I'd say the grocery portion of the store was laid out pretty well. Meats, Seafood, Dried goods, Produce, Fruits, Cleaning supplies, and Snacks all together. Fewer items in a seemingly odd places. And in an interesting bit of irony, western food is in the ethnic food area. Bizarro World! ;)



And Finally, I've not had a bowl of cereal since I got here, and was seriously craving some. I managed to find some Frosties (AKA Frosted Flakes!) Here is a short but non-comprehensive list of foods I crave, but have not found; Frosted Mini Wheats, Wintergreen Altoids, Cheddar Cheese (Swiss and Gruyere are available, but they are not Cheddar! And cheese is hella-spensive!), Oh and for the love of all that is Holy, there is NOOOO Root Beer here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home