...in China! (...在中国!)

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Cellphones...

Cellphones are a very interesting topic here. As far as I can tell pay-as-you-go is the norm here rather than the exception like it is in the US. You buy a cellphone, at full price. Then you buy a cellphone number, which are not all made equal. 4's are bad luck so they make it cheaper. 8's are good luck and increase the price of the number. My number has neither 4's nor 8's so, like usual my luck is a wash. Voicemail is super expensive, so most people rely on SMS which is very cheap. I fit in very well, as I prefer txt's over talking.

My phone from the US works perfectly here. (Props to T-Mobile for unlocking phones!) But sadly it could not send or receive Chinese Txt's. So after about a month or so researching, I was able to find software on the internet for upgrading and modding (modifying) the Motorola RAZR.

I can now happily send and receive Chinese messages. This is good because the phone company will send you a warning when you're balance is getting low. The state also uses it to inform people of users of important things, like where not to go during some sort of diplomatic function. And finally it is another excuse to practice reading and "writing" Chinese.

1 Comments:

  • you aren't showing your age a bit either, my dear. You look great! And an expert, oh my I'm really melting now!

    Love,
    Kerry :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home